|May 2013 |
| ||S ||M ||T ||W ||T ||F ||S || |
| || || ||1||2||3||4|
| || || || || || || ||
St Mary's Historic Church & Cemetery
|1418 Melwood Drive|
In 1832 and 1833 a considerable number of retired veterans of the British Army and Navy, some of whom had commuted their pensions for land, settled in this area. Largely members of the Church of England, their spiritual welfare was at first cared for by the rector of Adelaide Township, the Reverend Dominick Edward Blake. In 1840 one of the se settlers, Lieutenant Charles Preston, donated land for a church and burying ground, and this frame building was constructed about 1843. St. Mary's is the oldest remaining church in Middlesex County. It was consecrated by Bishop Benjamin Cronyn in 1860, and many of the original settlers lie buried in the adjacent churchyard.
Click on any of the pictures for an in-depth view of St Mary's Church and Cemetery.
One service a year is held at the church on the last Sunday in June at 3:00 pm. For more information, please contact Dorothy Wilson at 519-247-3702.
Adelaide Metcalfe Township Hall
|2340 Egremont Drive|
Click on any of the pictures for more detailed views.